Friday, July 31, 2009

Teaching Guitar??

I have self taught myself guitar for almost two years now, im no expert but i can play quite a few difficult songs and generally learn new songs with ease.





Just recently, a friend of my moms, who I have played for before, asked me to teach her son. She is paying 50$ a month (money I REALLY could use) and I feel like I could teach him, Ive taught my dad quite a bit and know all the strings, frets, and music theroy very well from playing the violin for 5 years.





So my question is, how should we start off? I was thinking that for the first lesson I could answer questions, teach him the parts of the guitar, how to tune, the strings, and maybe even some baby chords(like the 1 finger c and such). I dont want him to get bored, though, and dont know what his attention span is or his expectations for this class.


prehaps we could take one of his favorite songs and make a goal to learn it a little at a time throughout the classes?





Please let me know if you have ANY tips please and T.Y.

Teaching Guitar??
As a fellow self taught guitar player, i as well have givin lessons, this is how i began which seemed to work just fine.





Start by teaching the student the names of the strings, you could teach him a cool little trick like this





E: Every


B: Beginning


G: Guitarest


D: Dreams


A: About


E: Excellence





After Teaching the strings start with simple scales,





Such as





E: 0 1 2 3 4


A: 0 1 2 3 4


D: 0 1 2 3 4


G: 0 1 2 3 4


B: 0 1 2 3


E: 0 1 2 3 4





Just the basics, Then just the basic chords, Like E minor and E major, etc





After he or she becomes fluent in the scales and simple chords find out which genre he or she prefers most.





My student chose metal, so after he got the simple scales and chords down i started teaching him power chords and Then asked him the simple question, do you want to be the lead, or the rythem? As i figured he chose lead guitar, so i tought him a couple pentatonic scales, also tuned his guitar down to Drop D so he was able to play more of a "Death" metal style.





After he became very fluent in the pentatonic scales, i purchased a Cd he can "jam to" by there being a metal rythem in the backround and all he did was play the pentatonic scales to it. I found he advanced very quickly once he started playing to music behind his.





If you have any more questions feel free to ask.


No comments:

Post a Comment